Sunday, April 20, 2008

Tale of the Exploding Placenta

ok I sort of lied, I don't think placenta's really spontaneously combust....BUT on occasion [apparently] they do use ROCKET PROPELLED force to leave the former safety of a now contracting uterus to almost explode into the face of an unsuspecting midwife.Namely me... Yesterday I had calmly and without complications delivered my 5th baby this month (that’s a lot for those of you who don't know how we gauge these things at MMC) and was awaiting the birth of Juvy Embudo's placenta. About 15 minutes into third stage labor I was re-adjusting myself on the end of the bed which for a few fateful seconds brought my face into slightly closer range with the exit point. At that exact moment, with no prior warning, and a sudden ceasing of time into slow-mo, I glanced down just in time to see a plumb and healthy placenta burst forth from its confinement and defy gravity to explode upwards towards my face. Wow. Still in slow motion I let out some kind of verbal exclamation and try and work out how to dodge this great flying mass along with all the smaller blood clots soaring with it... ha ha thankfully just in the nick of time good old gravity came to my rescue and there was a satisfying plunk-plop-plop-plop as the ammunition fell harmlessly onto the spread pink pad. fewf, I emerged victorious and only slightly bloody. Mother, baby, midwife and placenta all healthy and accounted for. End of story. :)

No comments: