Sunday, March 9, 2008

and Cerena Janelle was born....





I realize I'm really hitting up the updates this week if I write again- but yesterday I had the most spectacular birth ever!



Candy Cenas was endorsed to me (by my good friend Sarah Montaudo) at six am, a primagavida with slow progress all through the night she still had some dazzling smiles inbetween contractions. Eager to hold her baby and doing her best with the pain she faithfully walked outside and climbed stairs to speed her labour along. Her sister and bana were with her and both of them were super supportive and encouraging. As she started to get more and more active I added myself fully to the triage and prayed and encouraged her through her intensifying pain. Between my Bisaya and her english we were able to make a strong connection though she was often zoned out to what we term "labour land." Though she had been showing signs of heading through transition I realized quickly when we were actually hitting that wave and let my supervisor know. While still breathing through contractions she continued to walk a bit inbetween. She began to would collapse in her bana's arms with ever contraction and despite continued attempts to breath and relax I could see her body beginging the pushing process- with or without her. I waited for a few more contractions knowing how long primagravida's often have to push for and then checked for vaginal opening. I could just glimpse the bag of waters bulging...

Everything after that went so well- I got her to labour on a chair and let her push. Though exausted from a sleepless night she still smiled at my coaching and encouragement and believe me it was well deserved (the praise) with every selfless concentration the bag of waters became more visible on the perineum and the head behind that. At almost 30 min pushing, her water broke. The other midwives on shift came in to assist at this point and Candy transfered to the bed. With the same slow continual progress her baby's head reached crowning and with increadable control she breathed the head and body slowly out so that there was not the slightest tear!

A perfect baby girl! as healthy as healthy can be, wailing and pink almost from the first with such delicate little features and beautifully creased feet. 12:36pm. 6'5 Ibs. The placenta followed and the bleeding was controled, as the parents discussed a name. The had Cedrae picked out for a boy- but had not quite been quite as prepared with a girls name. I off handedly suggested Serena- trying to pick a girls name which sounded remotely like Cedrae (which they were obviously trying for) it just came to mind since its my good friend and fellow midwifes name and perhaps because of the serenity of the whole birth. I also remembered that Serena in Bisaya means mermaid. They didn't jump on it at first, but when I returned later for a check and asked them about her name Candy proudly told me that they wanted to name her Cerena Janelle- (it was important to have the initials CJ because her name is Candy and her bana's name Jeffery!)

Wow! I was pleased pink :) ;besides her being such a beautiful little thing to be running around with my name....

I sat with Candy and her sister Ling chatting for awhile between checks and it was such a good time of fellowship. They asked me all about my life- the usual questions, how long I was in the Philippines, if I was single, what country did I come from, How old was I and I got to share more, about God's goodness to me and His plans over my life. They agreed that He had given me much joy- "Thank you for sharing that joy Janelle, and thank you so much for your patience" ! I just hardly knew what to say, she was so wonderful, she had done such an amazing job, I just loved being with that little family because you could tell the rejoicing thy had over eachother and their new child. I wanted to make them understand that it was my priviledge "Thank you for letting me be here and be a part of the birth of your child..." (Let alone name your baby after me!) wow, I was quite in awe, and utterly thankful- the Glory is His!

3 comments:

Holly Findley said...

I am so happy that you are blogging now!

Melodie said...

So I just discovered this blog...First of all I am GREATLY pleased to see you have joined the blogging community. Second of all I am disappointed to see you do not have my blog (xanga) listed in your "friends" section. I'm hurt... but my love can be redeemed!!!

-Melodie

P.S. I miss you and love you and miss you and love you.

Jen J said...

Just found your blog - beautiful stuff Janelley. Miss ya and love ya.